Sunday, November 23, 2014

I take Oceans for Granted




I was about 8 years old the first time I dipped my toes in the surf at Ocean City, NJ. I was something like 32 when I floated my body on the warm, sweet water of the Mediterranean. To me, the idea of coming out to an ocean and flipping my shoes off and getting in there isn't a big deal. I'm able-bodied and car-possessing and I swim like anything. I was ten and learnt how to really do laps in a rec center public pool. My folks took us with hoagies and sodas on ice up to Lake Nockamixon to get some really quality pool time in from the time I was ten to teenage. My dad is a good diver--although he can't see shit in water since he can't wear his glasses--same as me. I am naturally buoyant, what I find hard to do is get under the water. I float like an Ivory Soap--good clean fat quantity, me.

When I am by an ocean, I feel at home. My ancestors were probably North Sea fishermen. I've long thought my body was fat to keep myself buoyant in North Sea Water so I could survive a dunking and live to produce another generation of floating fisherfolk. 

The idea that anyone might live just so close to water and never be swimming seems tragic to me in a way. I read Elaine Morgan regarding aquatic apes and decided it made sense.

To me, seaside is Mecca. Visiting the ocean is necessary. I love being on and in the water. I am both delighted a century-old lady got a chance to see the ocean, and sad this is probably her first and last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment