Sunday, May 30, 2010

Product review--Wet n Wild's Natural Blend Pressed Powder



I picked up some of this product the other day because this is the time of year that my skin starts turning another color. In winter, I'm pale, Goth-y, a bit pinkish, but as soon as sun-rays kiss my nekkid flesh, I develop this golden toasty hue. And that means I need new foundation. And Wet n Wild is, well, affordable. It's a good drugstore brand of cosmetic.

But what I wanted to point out was the packaging, which really surprised me with what a neat, recyclable design it has. Most pressed powders are pretty wasteful as far as packaging goes--the powder itself is pressed into a small tin pan that sits in a womb of petroleum-based plastic, destined for a landfill after about three months, which just won't biodegrade. But the Wet n Wild compact is actually made of cardboard, so practically all of the components--the cardboard (recycled paper-based!) compact, the glass mirror, and the tin pan part that the powder sits in, are all separately recyclable. So the powder provides the light coverage I want to banish the "shinies" with (using natural ingredients like mica, corn starch, and kaolin clay) and I don't feel guilty when I finally use it up and toss my compact in the recycle bin.

I totally want other companies to follow this kind of thoughtful design. I'd like to see more all-metal lipstick tubes. I'm not sure if there is anyway to make one of my favorite cosmetic products, the automatic eye-pencil (I hate sharpening!) more eco-friendly. But I'd like to see cosmetic companies try.

No comments:

Post a Comment