Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Now, this could even be a 'shop, but still-- BIG FISH!!!




Now, this picture is of a mind-bogglingly big goldfish. Something about the hand-position, particularly the left hand's fingers, if you can see'em, makes me think this is a really, really cool Photoshop. But I've raised Comet fish, which are the Koi's boisterous American cousins as far as goldfish go, and I think the fish in this pic is too still to be alive. If he let that thing go, it floated, because what I know about big old goldfish like comets and koi is--they are all swimming muscle. If you snatch them up in a net to move them to a tank for quarantine or whatever, they writhe and make a hell of a fuss. They do not pose for a picture.

On the other hand, I have experienced the weirdness of goldfish growth. It seems like the more room you give them to grow, the more they do. I know they can be pretty self-sufficient in man-made ponds, so I can easily imagine them thriving in lakes given the opportunity. But part of their coloring is enhanced by the commercial feed they get. So I kind of think if they were let go in a lake or large natural pond, they wouldn't be as pretty as the big ol' boy in this pic is because their color would fade a bit. But maybe having been bred for color, a truly orange/red koi might hang on to the color, too.

Anyway, as a fish-fancier, I thought that was a really neat picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment