Saturday, March 26, 2011

I got a Fish--I will show you it--

I didn't really want another fish. At one point, we had a twenty-gallon tank with three fancy goldfish and a ninety-gallon tank with five rambunctious comet fish, and taking care of them all was tiring. A fish tank is an artificial environment that requires regular tending to keep one's charges alive and happy. We gave away the five comets when we had to plan a trip to Italy and couldn't care for them, and the three fancies dwindled by natural attrition. And for awhile, even though we had all this fish equipment around the house, we just weren't having any fishes.

But then the spouse got the urge to start up a tank again, because it is nice, after all, to care for something. It's cheerful to have a pet to talk to and see to and do things for. So we set up a small tank (15 gallons) and now we have a little red-capped fishy. Meatman named him DiLusso. I think this is a very smart and cute fish. Also, I do not think we should have another fish--or move this one to a bigger tank. For my part, I have expressed an urge to clean out the 90 gallon tank for use as a faunarium for a nice reptile or two, like anoles. (We have placed some of our larger, more unwieldy "big tank" filters straight out on the curb--they were unhygenic and frankly--I said to myself "yay!" Because, no....more....big...fishtank! Stinky annoying equipment to wash--away! away!)

I think what I really wanted was no fish at all and all the equipment on the curb. But I already like our fish and all, so zie's staying, and in the meanwhile, I get to clean out the big tank for my own fun critter-related experiement. More work--but sometimes work can be fun. Also, I really like "critters".

.

No comments:

Post a Comment