Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Growing new teeth with stem-cells.



This is pretty neat:

The technique, developed by Dr. Jeffrey Mao, involves placing a tooth “scaffolding” made of natural materials in the patient’s mouth and directing stem cells to develop into a new, healthy tooth. By growing a real tooth right in the patient’s mouth, the patient’s healing time is greatly reduced when compared to that required after dental implants, and the chance of rejection by the patient’s body is almost eliminated.


Okay, I know this is altogether too practical--but regrowing teeth? No bridges, crowns, etc? I know this is not the actual point of doing it--but I think people would also like to (as a matter of principle, you see) be able to point to their jibs when at an advanced age and say, "And I've still got all my own teeth!"

And they would be all one's own, and not just paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment