Monday, April 18, 2011

Dried Figs with nuts in their butts.

I'm all about real food. I like to snack on simple things that don't have a whole lot of ingredients, and lately, the nosh I've been crazy about is dried figs (because we got a mess of dried white figs on sale at a local produce store, and I still have a stash of organic mission figs we got at Nuts Online --seriously--if you love nuts, seeds, spices, and dried fruit, this is the place to go!) with almonds and pistachios stuffed into the crevice you have after pulling off the woody stem.

Because I am classy like that, I am referring to the resulting appetizer/dessert as "Figs With two Nuts up their Butts". Because I put both an organic salted almond and a large, California pistachio, in the, um, aperture of the fig. The result is so sweet and salty--and chewy and crunchy! This is definitely the thing that is tiding me over until my own fig trees give'em up (that will be late August, probably), so I can enjoy more elegant things like fresh figs with ham and blue cheese (another elegant, dumb recipe--halve fresh fig, stuff blue cheese on one slice, bandage halves back together with a slice of good ham--toast in an oven for like, 15 mins. It's ridiculously easy and Oh my literarily speaking God, I have to wait four, almost five months! Before I can taste this heaven in mouth again!)

So in the meanwhile, my fig-cravings are all about stuffing nuts into my dried fruit. Also--OMG! Do this--parmesan cheese with a drizzle of good honey and a Granny Smith Apple slice! No--shut up, DO IT!  Or if you "entertain", lemon-juice up some apple slices and slap them on a honeyed parmesan cheese "raft" and get these bad boys on a plate for your next wine (beer) and cheese "thing".

Re--freaking-dickulous. I'm of the opinion simple recipes kick the most ass. This is easy--totally kicks ass. Fruits and nuts--not just produce--they are an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment